Ampco-Pittsburgh Corporation, through its operating subsidiaries, is a leading producer of forged and cast rolls for the worldwide steel and aluminum industries as well as ingot and open die forged products for the oil and gas, aluminum, and plastic extrusion industries. It is also a producer of air and liquid processing equipment, primarily custom-engineered finned tube heat exchange coils, large custom air handling systems and centrifugal pumps. Ampco-Pittsburgh Corporation operates manufacturing facilities in the United States and the United Kingdom, with sales offices in the United States, United Kingdom, and Belgium. Corporate headquarters is located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Union Electric Steel Corporation, a recognized worldwide leader in the supply of forged hardened steel rolls for the steel and aluminum industries is seeking a Ladle Craneman for our Burgettstown, PA manufacturing plant.
This is an hourly position in a unionized setting and applicants must be willing to work rotating shifts and weekends, as required.
Primary function is to operate an overhead crane in transporting molten metal for teeming ingots.
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
150 ton overhead crane with 25 ton auxiliary hoist, air conditioned cab, ladles, cables, chains, hooks, magnet, slag thimbles, mold flailer, refuse boxes, scrap boxes, vacuum degasser dome and pony ladle, etc.
Molten steel, casting and maintenance equipment
Receives instructions covering the scheduled and emergency repair, installation and inspection work to be done. Answers signal for electrical maintenance.
- Receives signal for lift to be made. Ladle Craneman operates crane by use of various levers to control speed, lift and travel of crane.
- Transports ladles of molten metal from furnace to argon station and then to pouring pit.
- Positions ladles for pouring as directed by Ladleman.
- Dumps extra metal into preheated slag pots, dumps skull and slag from ladles or slag pot.
- Transports ladle to clean, rig and prepare for use. May relocate ladles to or from ladle preheat stations.
- Spots ladles at furnace.
- Make all lifts required for movement and positioning of ingot molds, including loading/unloading mold furnace buggy.
- Uses stripping tongs to strip ingots as directed.
- Ladle Craneman use tongs or chains to transport ingots to car bottom forge furnaces as directed.
- May pick up miscellaneous scrap and load into scrap bucket.
- May transport forge scrap from forge area to transfer car as required.
- Transports miscellaneous materials as required including lifts for maintenance work. Moves work platforms in pit area.
- Inspects crane for loose gear guards, bolts, nuts and condition of cables and limit switches. Cleans and lubricates crane. Ladle Craneman reports to supervision if crane is unsafe for operation.
- a. Transports and positions pony ladle as required for make-up; or assemble to dome.
- May perform lifts for vacuum degassing as required; such as positioning “stream restrictor” or move and position dome as directed.
- Makes required lifts to build & tear down bottom pour assemblies, including sprue plates, stools, cover plates, trumpets, etc. Uses mold flailer to clean inner core of molds.
The above statement reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the jobs identified, and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all of the work requirements that may be inherent in the jobs.
Competitive Wage, Medical, Dental, 401k, Pension
Pre-employment physical, background check and drug screening for all new hires
We have created a culture and environment that fosters personal and professional growth. If you would like to become part of our dynamic organization, visit our website at www.uniones.com and send a resume and cover letter for immediate consideration to:
Union Electric Steel Corporation
An Ampco-Pittsburgh Company
Post Office Box 465
Carnegie PA 15106-0465
Attention: Human Resources (HCHO6)
(Please no phone calls)
EOE AA M/F/D/Vet/Disability
Voluntary Self Identification of Disability
Voluntary Self Identification of Race, Gender, and Protected Veteran Status
Click here to apply. Please attach your resume and cover letter.